Sunday, August 22, 2010

Control

Power. It is one of the most sought after things in this world. Power in strength, in relationships, in wealth, and power in mostly any facet of life. Now while it actually is possible to have power in some, most, and in rare cases all of those things, I wont be talking about that kind of power. I`ll be talking about a power that well we only get to see in pages of comic books and/or some fiction novels, and that`s the power of control, or mind control. I know, I know it is a pretty kiddy thing to be talking about, but I`m not going to be talking about how awesome it would be to have the ability to control people, rather how something like that could potentially have you lose (pardon the pun) control of yourself. Okay to start I do realize how potentially awesome it would be to be able to control people. The realization that everything you could want is potentially just a thought away. And in most cases (certainly mine) people would probably start of by getting the material things that they would want. I mean the thought would come to mind that if you are given this ability then it would be a waste not to use it. And again if you ask most people what they would do with this power I`m sure they would say: I`m going to get a car, or a nice apartment, or a huge mansion, or any other material want, then they might say I would use this power to make the world a better place, stop wars, fix the economy, fix the environment, etc. So lets say you do all that, here is one question: would you let people know it was you who changed the world? Now hear me out if you do let people know about what you have done then they would realize what you are capable of doing, and all of a sudden everyone starts questioning what else have you done? How did you get your Ferrari, or your apartment in Times Square, or anything else you have gotten. Then you would most likely make people forget about what you can do, so what would be the point of letting people know in the first place? So lets say okay you are done getting every thing you have ever wanted, the cars, the house, the fame, so now I ask what`s next? Now you take a look at your relationships, relationships with the people who are important in your life, your family and your friends. Now we have all been at that point when one of these people will hurt you and you have no idea why they did. So now you have the ability to make them explain themselves or better yet have them do something to make it up to you, so here is another question: would you be satisfied with their explanation or their actions, knowing that they tried making it up to you is because of your power? And if you do decide to use your power in that way whats to stop you from fabricating relationships? Making people like you, love you, obsessed with you, out of want, spite, or just because you can. I mean you could do absolutely anything, so here is a thought and a scary one at that, what if you lost control? All of a sudden you have no control of your powers. Whether through stress, or any other possible reason you have no say in what your powers are doing. To the point that just a though, without the intention of even wanting your powers to act upon that thought and you have used your powers. For example you are angry at a friend or a family member and in that argument you just say, or think the words I wish you were dead, then they go ahead and kill themselves. I mean it was never an intention of yours but still it is because of your power that it happened. Which leads me to my final question: Why would people want power at all? And not only the kind of power I have been talking about but any form of it? We all have heard the saying "power corrupts", that is a guaranty, you give power to anybody in the world and at least 99.9% of us would abuse it no matter how small or big our abuse was it is still abusing power. So there it is I have said my piece, I am certain I have made at least some points. So now be honest with yourselves, if you were given the power of control, do you really think it won`t corrupt you?

No comments:

Post a Comment